According to WalletHub, the average cost of a roundtrip flight is $363. However, there are many more considerations involved when choosing a carrier for your next flight.
WalletHub compared the nine largest U.S. airlines, plus three regional carriers, across 15 important metrics. They range from cancellation and delay rates to baggage mishaps and in-flight comfort. They also considered costs in relation to in-flight amenities for the sake of fairness.
According to their findings, the best airlines were:
- Best Airline Overall: Alaska Airlines
- Cheapest Airline: Frontier Airlines
- Most Reliable Airline: Delta Air Lines
- Most Comfortable Airline: JetBlue Airways
- Best Airline for Pets: ExpressJet Airlines and Envoy Air
- Least Complained About Airline: Southwest Airlines and ExpressJet Airlines
- Safest Airline: Alaska Airlines